Sunday, May 9, 2010

It's Good to Be The Mom

I'm posting from Michael and Liz's new apartment! I have been fed a grand Mother's Day breakfast of blueberry pancakes and sausage. I am sitting on the living room floor with an ergonomic keyboard on my lap. I love that I'm doing this on the floor but there is internet. High tech yet low key. I have met Liz's parents via Skype. I have had juice and coffee. I have ordered Reid's graduation gift from New Egg. I have completed the Sunday crossword with only one error. It is chilly for being a full week into May, even for the northern plains. While I delight in the company of my sons, I can't help but think of my own mother. I am sad because the state of her health is frail, but I am glad she is still among us. I know my sister will visit her today, and we'll probably talk later. I also can't help but consider the definition of motherhood according to Celtic spirituality. That being, all women are mothers regardless of whether they have given birth. We all nurture and guide and love and influence the children of our extended families and friends. There are the children of our wombs, and then there are the children of our hearts. Adoptive mothers will tell you there is really no difference between the two, they both are precious, they are indistinguishable. Today I am grateful to the women who loved me and formed me into what I am today. Happy Mother's Day to all of my mothers.

No comments: