Thursday, May 13, 2010

Firstborn Son of Mine


My elder son has been working in the IT department for the last year in the same company where I have been for over five years. And this afternoon, during a particularly tedious staff meeting, I felt a surge of maternal pride of such magnitude that I was amazed momentarily that I had anything to do with this remarkable young man's presence on the face of this planet. Maybe it was because I was experiencing a bout of bad attitude. Or maybe it was simply because I was startled by how bright, articulate, kind and knowledgible Michael is. How much of an adult he has become in his own right. How much and how little I actually had to do with how he has turned out. How wonderful it is to hear feedback from coworkers about how he has performed near miracles with their computer related experience. Speaking as a mother, it just doesn't get any better than this. To be forever attached to this young man that I have known since he first drew breath. And to marvel at how he has become so independent and capable. All I really did was take my vitamins and drink my milk. Then a miracle occurred. You will never truly know, son of mine, how often you make my day.

No comments: