Monday, July 13, 2009

Last Firsts

John McCutcheon has a very beautiful song called Last First Kiss on his CD The Greatest Story Never Told. According to information on his website, he wrote it for his wife as an anniversary gift. Only he's not married to that particular woman any more. The song was written a mere eight years ago, not twenty or thirty, so it would seem that this marriage and the love that bound it together was one that had endured much and would likely continue. I must admit that I don't know if he was widowed or if the marriage ended in divorce, all I know is that he's married to someone else now. So I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and linger on the brink of cynisim rather than plunge right in for a good, long soak. Because I realize that what I want is a whole laundry list of last firsts. Including but not limited to a kiss, date, relationship, sex, sex, sex, yes, I know I said that three times, and maybe at some point marriage. I love listening to Last First Kiss, the song is sweet and heart-felt without being sappy or overly sentimental. It seems to have been inspired by a love that has survived the years and implies that perhaps the best is still to come. That love has settled into a place that is comfortable but still passionate, familiar yet new. I want my last, first kiss. And a song such as this makes me feel as though it could happen.

No comments: