Thursday, July 30, 2009

Brothers


The elder son's cell phone buzzes. He retreives it from his pocket. The phone exclaims, in Luigi's voice from the animated series, it's a football!. This alerts him to the fact that he has a new text message. I find this amusing. I also find it amusing when the younger son utters this phrase, in his own remarkable voice, in a dead-on impersonation of Luigi. He has observed at various times, that he and his brother are like the Mario Brothers in other ways. Specifically, the bit of information that he enjoys is the fact that Luigi, the younger brother, is taller than Mario, the older brother. One of these days he may get over the fact that he has turned out taller than his older brother. But I doubt it. I'm also certain that neither of my sons was born with a black moustache. Nor did they as infants ride around on the back of a dinosaur named Yoshi. What I'd like to know is where the hell was Mama Mario when Yoshi was cavorting about on his island with baby Mario in tow! I'm guessing she was distracted by the agonizing nausea of morning sickness during the early weeks of her pregnancy with Luigi. It's that second child that really does a number on you.