Saturday, May 30, 2009

Listen to The Quiet...

Cake has been set afire, extinguished, and consumed. Presents have been opened. Cards have been passed around the room and giggled over. One of the cards spoke in the voice of Homer Simpson. Another said the name of a fish in Hawaaian. Eight extra teenagers have shown up, played video games, eaten pizza and gone. The cats have deemed it safe enough to come out of hiding and reclaim their house. Pretty much the same routine as birthday parties in the past, only now the guests arrive and depart in their own cars instead of being dropped off and picked up by moms or dads. Oh, and they eat more. Lots more. I miss making up the little bags of candy and party favors to send home with the departing guests. All I do now is bake a cake, order the pizza, and hang around and act like the resident adult. And after they've gone, I appreciate the quiet.

3 comments:

Tantra Flower said...

It sounds like he had a nice birthday party. You're a cool momma!

Ed said...

What?!?! You don't supply dancing girls, booze and prescription drugs? Where are your parenting skills? Don't you want to be on Fox News for a couple of days? Be the talk of the town?
Okay, seriously, it's good to have kids that are not in rehab or juvenile detention. I'd say you're doing a good job. Does Daddy get involved anymore?

Bellona of Avalon said...

There were two girls at the party...as far as I know there was no dancing...

I've been trying to lay low, haven't heard any rumors about myself for some time...

Dad is definitely around. And probably more directly involved than when we were all under the same roof. There seems to be a hidden bonus in having to make the effort to show up.

Tantra Flower, my son asked me why a certain girl he knows thinks I'm so cool (I work with her mom), all I can say is she must be very smart and highly perceptive. She also tells me (with a wink) what he's up to at school.