Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday PM Ponderings

*I baked cinnamon rolls this morning. I just thawed out frozen dough overnight to make them, but I think that still counts as real baking. They were yummy, and were is the operative word, they have been long gone for hours.

*Soup weather has arrived and yesterday I made a big pot of chicken noodle soup. Which turned out to be a good thing, I just hauled some across town to the 20yo son who is suffering from a cold.

*One of my favorite bands, Abby SomeOne, has had their website go missing for a week now. What's up with that, Ed?

*The 16yo is something of a literalist linguistics pain in the butt. For the most part he is polite and refrains from correcting others' grammar and he frequently comes up with funny stuff. He recently suggested that handball should more appropriately be called wallball, freeing up handball to be used as the name for American football, leaving football as the name for soccer. He had no suggestion for a new application for the word soccer. I think soccer would be an excellent name for a new drink. Something alcohol based, you know, something that has a real kick.

*I have decided on a Halloween costume. I'm calling her Viking Warrior Princess. Basic black skirt and top with a belted tunic over the top. Somewhere around here there is a plastic sword with matching plastic breastplate. To complete the look I have some yellow yarn braids that reach down to my knees but I need a new horned hat and some fun fur sort of fabric to make the tunic. Last time I did this type of costume I had a little tape recorder with Ride of the Valkyries on it so I had theme music, too. That was fun.

*Finally carried the little step-stool out onto the front deck so I would be tall enough to deal with the light fixture that has been not lighting up for a couple of weeks. Figured out how to disassemble the darn thing, determine what sort of bulbs were needed, and then went out to purchase replacement light bulbs. This is the sort of thing that is best accomplished during the light of day. But I've been forgetting to do it because it's dark when I find out, for the nth time, that the bulbs are burned out when flipping the switch when I need some light in the front yard! For anyone who might be interested, I needed two 60 watt, flame shaped bulbs with a candelabra base. Let there be light.

*The neighbors with the yappy dogs moved out yesterday. There has been a realtor's sign in the yard for over six months. Attention all single, heterosexual, attractive guys between the ages of 35 and 55!! Buy the house next door to me! You'll notice I didn't say employed. I'm assuming that in the current economy if you can qualify for a mortgage, you have a job or family money or something. Maybe I should buy it and become a landlady. If anyone is going to buy it, the owners are going to have to drop the price considerably. Several other homes have sold in days in this neighborhood over the last few months. So it's not just location, location, location...it's price tag, price tag, price tag. Plus you'd get to live next door to me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawn seems to have quit. He told me that he can't stand playing any more. Can't write songs. Can't smile. Just can't. He's (IMHO) on too much medication. Viking Warrior Princess? Wagner? Loud? Cinnamon rolls.....ummmm

Bellona of Avalon said...

Shawn has more talent in his pinkie finger than most musicians on the face of this earth. I agree with you on the meds situation. When I saw him last spring he was just a shadow of himself. If he could find his smile again you wouldn't be able to drag him off the stage. Wish I'd bought the DVD version of Schitzosonic when it was available!

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to agree with the pinkie comment. Not that it matters to him these days. However, where there's a shadow there's a man to cast it.
Things may be different but I BELIEVE in his ability to get back to himself. Until then I shall continue to wait while missing him.

Anonymous said...

I thought this new woman was making him come around...is he still seeing her?

Bellona of Avalon said...

All I know about her is what Shawn wrote in his blog, nothing else. He hasn't answered an email from me in over a year. Now that the website's gone, I guess we just need to stay in touch with each other. The ASO community, that's us. Brought together by SMB's music.

Anonymous said...

This is true...we were brought together by that man and his music...I miss him too!

birdgirl said...

Though I have yet to actually meet Shawn, I think I may know the hell he's facing. There's some strange curse about being REALLY good, but not quite "good enough", in the right way, in the right place, at the right time. I'm certain Shawn has faced all of the above. Does he know that this is the time when we need him? When the rest of us are wondering "what's next" it's talents like Shawn who bring things into focus. Yep, HARD thing. But NOW is the time.

The world needs you, Shawn. Please pull out and write again.