Monday, August 18, 2008

It's August Already?

I have only randomness running around in my head today. There is no central theme, no dominant subject. I smell a list brewing up...

* Finally bought a copy of David Sanborn's Here & Gone. Love it. If I ever have the opportunity to seduce a man again, I will put this CD on. Men of the world, consider yourselves forewarned!

* I have just finished mowing the lawn for the first time in weeks. The recent rains have brought it back to life and green-ness. It's 80-ish out there and as lovely a summer day one could wish for.

* I ran across the new tent out in the garage. The very cool tent I bought on clearance last winter with hopes of camping adventures this summer. Haven't gotten it out of the box yet. Sigh.

* What sort of guy gets your phone #, chivalrously walks you to your car because it's late and dark, kisses your hand goodnight, and NEVER CALLS?!?!?

* While I'm griping, the absolute worst kind of guy is one who professes interest in being friends. When he has no interest in friendship! What he was really saying was "I'm not interested in fucking you but I don't want you to think I'm the self-absorbed jerk that I truly am so I'm making this perfunctory offer of friendship."

* As a footnote to the previous item, I am not a man hating femiNatzi. I love men, some of my longest standing friendships happen to be with men. Some of them I was romantically involved with, most of them not. In fact, I have been screwed over and stabbed in the back by women many more times than by men. And yet I remain an open and trusting soul. Pardon me while I pat myself on the back.

* I have completed about half of my summer home projects. The 16yo's room is clean, the porch closet has been cleaned out and remodeled, the guest bedroom has been cleaned and rearranged and has new light fixtures, the living room redecorating is complete with the exception of hemming the new drapes. You have to let them hang awhile before hemming so they turn out nice and straight. Any bets on how long it will take me to get to it? Sadly, the laundry room and office are still a little frightening, but some headway has been made.

* I recently reconnected with a friend I had fallen out of regular contact with. We had a pleasant evening with dinner out and some live music. But I have a feeling there is something below the surface, something not discussed, a five month silence not explained. If I have learned anything, it is that patience and time answer many questions. Often indirectly.

* CBS has a new show this fall called The Mentalist. I haven't a clue if it will be any good or not, but consider this. In one of the ads there is a phrase that pops on the screen, it says, there is nothing sexier than a man who is paying attention. I couldn't agree more.

* My other summer goals were to read three books. I have read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons and am close to halfway through MZB's The Mists of Avalon. At over eight hundred pages, Mists should count as two, shouldn't it? I also vowed to walk through McCrory Gardens with my camera and take lots of pictures, which I did a week ago.

* I've been feeling the itch to take a road trip! I've stuck around pretty close to home since my vacation in April. Any suggestions?


No comments: