Sunday, August 3, 2008

Be Vewy, Vewy Quiet!!

In the wee hours of last Sunday morning,
I was preoccupied with two things as I entered the house. First, out of courtesy, I thought I should be quiet. Second, I violated my first intention with a resounding exsufflate of disgust at the wall of stink that I encountered once inside. What I had cleaned out of the refrigerator a few hours earlier had ripened into an unmatched nasty aroma of true epic proportions. Treading with trepidation toward the kitchen trash receptacle, I removed the offending bag of filth and stench, tied it off, and was out the door to deposit the vile thing into the trash. As I approached the back door for the second time in as many minutes, I once again considered the lateness of the hour and that I should make a greater effort this time to be quiet. Although, if I had not awakened the 16yo with my earlier garbage bag scuffling, I really didn't have to worry. Somewhere between passing the corner of the dining room table and gaining entry to my boudoir, I was easing the bracelet off of my left wrist. To my surprise, the stretchy suddenly gave way to the racket of beads and charms skittering across the laminate floor. Which caught the attention of Newton and Einstein. Who proceeded to chase the beads around the floor with an apparent degree of interest and delight. Much later that day while I was drifting east, I tracked down as many beads as I could find and considered reconstructing the bracelet. At the same time, I was quite amazed that it had held together for the duration of the street dance. Had the bracelet broken there, I certainly would never have been able to track down all of the parts. I didn't have much better luck in the house, I found all of the charms but was missing several of the jet black faceted beads. Hmm. I really like this bracelet! Then I remembered that I had a plain black beaded bracelet. And what I really liked about the broken one was the cute dangly charms. Armed with jewelry pliers, I attached the charms to the other bracelet. From this little life episode I have learned two things. That the 16yo could sleep through robbers stealing the entire main floor of the house. And that often what you need is close at hand, you just have to pay attention. Oh, and three, when you clean nasty things out of the fridge, they quickly accelerate in a downward spiral into nastier things, and so should be immediately, if not sooner, removed from the house.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I love the hand charms and the round, blue glass. Very cool. I gave up on bracelets years ago. I was always snagging them on door plates. I have a pearl one now that I rarely wear because I can only imagine the horror of pearls everywhere.

Bellona of Avalon said...

I have a weakness for jewelry, earrings and bracelets in particular. I have admitted a tendency to over-accessorize in this space, I don't know if it's a disease, an affectation, or one of my better quirks. Maybe all three...The movie, The Witches of Eastwick, contains an interesting scene with pearls skittering across the floor when a necklace breaks. I really need to watch that one again soon.