Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Vladimir

This is Vladimir. I love the expression on his cracked little face! I've always thought he looks like he's had a couple of beers, and that he just might speak at any moment. I haven't heard him say anything, not yet anyway. That might require much more than a couple of beers on my part. The funny thing about Vlad is that I'm not fond of the person who gave him to me. It was an unexpected gift, it wasn't my birthday or any other occasion. And often I become attached to particular possessions because of my affection for the one who gave me the object. Not with Vladimir, though. Maybe it was just a random choice on the buyer's part, something he didn't put a great deal of effort into. Maybe he agonized over it. I really don't know. In any case, I'm surprised at how well he read me in choosing this whimsical little guy specifically for me. I adored Vlad from the moment he was handed to me, he has become a treasured fixture in my backyard. And he reminds me that I can be surprised and delighted. Even by someone I've never been sure of whether I like or trust him. Vladimir helps me keep my mind and my heart open to the possibilities in life that may not immediately occur to me. And that is a good thing.

No comments: