Thursday, June 26, 2008

This Old Range


Normally, I don't become attached to household appliances. But I had a real relationship with my range. The meals we cooked together! Twenty-two years of holiday cooking and baking! The birthday cakes and Christmas cookies. The pies. The everyday fare such as tuna noodle casserole and frozen chicken tenders. Lasagna. Soup simmered over the course of a long winter day. Scrambled eggs and French toast and bacon on weekend mornings. Teaching the boys the rudimentary cooking skills involving grilled cheese sandwiches and making mini pizzas on bagels. She went out the back door today strapped to the same appliance cart that brought in the new range. The twin oven Maytag Gemini. All electronic controls and that lovely, smooth cooktop. I look forward to the meals we shall cook together. All I did tonight was heat up some leftover pizza in the smaller top oven. And play with the timer and set the clock. All this without bothering to open up the instruction manual. I miss the familiarity of the old stove but I won't miss the failing thermostat that caused me of late to scorch cookies and set off the smoke alarm. I expect that soon I'll be just as familiar with the new one.

5 comments:

Deanna said...

I got a new stove and cooktop in February as well. I didn't have the personal history with them that you had, but I haven't looked back. Who knew that it's not supposed to take a full 5 minutes for water to come to a boil?

Anonymous said...

Is that electric?

Bellona of Avalon said...

Indeed, Ed it is electric, as is the new one.

Anonymous said...

I like fire. Matches and stuff.

Bellona of Avalon said...

Me, too, Ed. That's why I have a fire pit in the backyard. For sacred feminine rituals involving gin & tonics and laughing till you can't sit up straight.