Sunday, June 8, 2008

Persistant Questions

I have dozens of them. I like to drop them into the conversation at a social gathering, kind of an ice-breaker around the table when I don't know all the people seated with me. Sometimes it's an ice-breaker. Sometimes one of these questions brings the conversation to a grinding halt, never to be recovered. Sometimes people get up and leave. Sometimes, and this is the desired effect, interesting ideas are exchanged and I have made some new friends. For your thoughtful perusal, here are three of them. If you don't have an answer, consult Guy Noir.

1. How many cats does a woman have to own in order to be considered a "crazy old cat lady"? I have had answers ranging from a simple, emphatic numerical response to being asked counter questions, such as, is the age of the woman an actual factor.

2. How many musicians must a woman sleep with in order to be considered a groupie? The best answer I've ever had for this one was uttered by the CPPR just over a year ago. He said, one. But the guy has to have a major label recording contract.

3. Why is it that a sexually confident, perhaps even aggressive, man who has, shall we say, many notches in his bedpost, is referred to as a stud. A complimentary term. While a woman of similar demeanor is called a slut. A disparaging term. It is interesting to note that there is a mere one letter difference in the spelling of these words. I have, to date, never received a satisfying answer to this one. Although it frequently leads to interesting arguments involving our society and gender roles.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

3 cats, for sure.

I try to redirect people from calling a girl/woman a slut. I say, "She's just enjoying her sexuality!"

The double standard lives on, sadly.

Bellona of Avalon said...

I watch Grey's Anatomy and I loved how Dr. Baily gathered all the nurses together and declared McSteamy a whore. She went on to explain that even though he was a whore, they had to work with him anyway. It was interesting because he was very uncomfortable with how he was being put in his place, even berated, for something he obviously felt he should be adulated for instead. I personally feel that such terms are more a matter of attitude than numbers.

Anonymous said...

The double standard is due to:
Patriarchy
Repressed Religious Morons
Male Denial
Lack of Proper Sexual Education