Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Tree Poop

A sure sign of spring has just appeared in my driveway. I should say on my driveway. The tree poop has arrived! I have a pair of mature ash trees in the front yard. They seem to leaf out practically overnight, but before those leaves can unfurl, they must shed the tight, brownish casings that envelop them. Leaving, no pun intended, a mass of brown leaf casings piled in the lawn and on the driveway. Tree poop is how we fondly refer to this stuff. Which also means it's time to rake the leaves that I missed last fall, the dead grass, and the tree poop. It is pointless to rake before the trees have pooped unless you simply enjoy the raking process so very much that you want to do it twice. Once suffices for me. I rake the leaves pretty much as I shovel snow. Casually and as needed and as minimally as possible. Unless it snows again before Saturday, raking is what I will be doing. And I am looking forward to it, but not as fondly as I will be looking back on it. Tree poop. Showing up for a limited time only. In my driveway.

No comments: