Sunday, February 3, 2008

Superbowl Sunday

Let me just say that I do not follow football. Of any kind. Not pro, not college, not high school. Well, I did follow the local high school games twenty-five years ago when my brother was a Brookings Bobcat. And I do watch Friday Night Lights in which football is a primary plot focus. But I digress. Just a few moments ago I was informed that the Superbowl has been won by the New York Giants. In an upset over the New England Patriots in the fourth quarter of the game. What do football fans do now, in the off season? Switch to another sport? Watch videos of great games of the past? Cry? Drink beer anyway? I know people who watch the Superbowl just to see the new commercials that advertisers pay an obscene number of dollars per second to pitch their product. I know people who attend Superbowl parties just for the super food. Enough about football. This would have been a superb weekend to be in Rapid City. AbbySomeOne was playing at Dublin Square. Hank Harris was playing at Paddy O'Neil's just a block or so away. I would have run myself ragged back and forth to catch just as much music as possible. Actually, I probably would have spent more time in the smoke-free, very breathable atmosphere at Dublin Square. I love Hank, but Paddy's is thick with smoke and makes my eyes twitch after about half an hour. Instead, I was here at home making some redecorating decisions, catching up on sleep and cleaning my bedroom. I also e-filed my income tax and am happy to report I can afford the pending new carpeting for my living room with a portion of my refund. Maybe even a chair. And I have already ordered a slipcover for the loveseat from kohls.com. There. Football, live music, tax refunds and redecorating. Four completely disparate subjects covered in five hundred words or less. I know that's why all of you drop by. For fascinating stuff like this.

No comments: