Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy VeeDee

What could possibly express love more clearly and more eloquently than a beautiful song? I would have to answer nothing, you may answer how you please. And I happen to feel that a song that is more than a mere mushy perfect plea of a paean is even better. A song that speaks to the complexities of a relationship, one that gets to the heart of the matter. I like a little substance is all I'm saying, I like a nice, meaty center with my ear candy. Maybe this is a sign of aging but generally I've always been a bit demanding of the music I truly enjoy. I love frosting but you've got to have a cake first! Someone who clearly understands that the gritty goes along with the good is Shawn Michael Bitz, one of my personal favorites among songwriters. I feel fortunate to count him as a friend, I think he's brilliant, and his music deserves to have a much, much wider audience than it currently enjoys. And, no, he is not paying me to say this. He is a poet who knows a few guitar chords. In honor of Valentine's Day, the lyrics to his song, Diamond, follow. Read them, relish them, then go to www.abbysomeone.com, click on Music, then bootlegs, and listen to him sing it. You'll thank me.

She is hard, like a diamond
but diamonds they linger, they sit there and shine
She keeps moving just like the water
I've been thirsty and dry since I looked in her eye

I don't wanna wait for the sun to see what I might see
She's all of the light I need tonight
If it was easy everybody'd be hangin' out with love
It might seem simple but I gotta admit I've messed it up enough
I feel like hiding away and I could really use a shove
I've been cut before

Here she comes, there I go again
Bumping heads with my pride, 'cause I want her inside
I'm so hard just like a diamond
But diamonds don't suffer and they don't try
She ain't shy, but she's careful what she'll take
Got her foot on the gas, while she's tapping on the brake
And we are special just like a diamond

Diamonds don't follow, diamonds don't lead
I've been cut before

No comments: