Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Weather or Not

Let me first state the obvious. It's really freaking cold outside!! I'm not sure precisely how cold, the dashboard readout on the Subaru said zero as I was driving home earlier. It's so cold my thermometer is on the blink and can't tell me how cold it is. I'm thinking the battery in the sensor unit out on the fence has turned to a solid mass of iced whatever is in the middle of a battery anyway. Let me now express my envy of a number of coworkers who are at this very moment in Florida for work related reasons. I hate every last one of them. They will be returning to the frigid north by the weekend just in time for the forecasted (promised?) warming trend. I do enjoy experiencing the full range of all four seasons, and I have lived further north than I currently do, but I forget how brutal and unforgiving sub-zero weather can be. For now, I am thankful that my furnace is running properly. A year ago we were without reliable central heat. This makes one creative with the use of baking and cooking to generate heat, as well as filling the bathtub with hot water to warm the bathroom. Fortunately this furnace fiasco was remedied before the big cold snap set in. Fleecy clothing, sweaters, and big, fat socks with Nordic designs knit into their thick coziness make all of this cold a little more bearable. I haven't heard from the CPPR for a month or so. Having no discernible body fat, he does not take well to the winter weather here in South Dakota. I hope he is keeping warm on this January night. Soon I will immerse myself in hot bath water up to my chin. It warms me and conjures up memories of how the July afternoon sun feels on my shoulders. I haven't found a way to duplicate the feeling of warm sand between my toes. That will have to wait til summer. Except for those lousy coworkers of mine in Florida who at this very moment could possibly have warm sand between their toes!

No comments: