Saturday, December 8, 2007

Out of Reach

One forgets from year to year what honest, genuine, bone-chilling cold feels like. I remember now. It would help if I planned far enough ahead so my hair is completely dry before I venture outdoors. Now that I have returned from various errand running I am settling in for an evening of baking and finishing up holiday decorating. I need a ladder that's taller than my five foot step ladder so I can get to the shelf in the stairwell and toss on some wintry frou frou. When I put it up last summer with the convenience of the platform I had constructed for painting purposes, it did not occur to me that I wouldn't be able to get at it when the platform was gone. And now I see dust bunnies amongst the apples and baskets and hanging from the plate rack! I am an intelligent being. I will figure this out. No decorating task, no matter how daunting, has ever kept me down for long. And I'll finish with the climbing before I open a bottle of wine. Just to be safe. I have lemon cranberry bread to get in the oven as well as a tree to festoon before I settle down to watch a movie. But first I think I need a big cup of English breakfast with sugar and cream to inspire, warm and caffeinate me.

No comments: