Saturday, December 22, 2007

Longest Night

I don't know about you, but I'm ready to settle my brain for a long winter's nap. Perfect night for it, the longest stretch of darkness we experience up here in the frozen north. Tomorrow the light begins to lengthen by a couple of minutes a day. Incrementally not all that noticeable, but cumulatively significant. Today is the first of an unprecedented four consecutive days off work for me. When I crawled in bed last night I turned off the alarm on my bedside nemesis just before I shut out the light and slept for a delicious nine hours straight. I could have rolled over and slept longer, but once the cats see the whites of my eyes further slumber isn't likely. Just opposite my bed and just in front of the window is my large comfy chair and ottoman. When I first open my eyes, Newton is normally sprawled on the ottoman and Einstein is perched on the back of the chair looking out the window. And even though Newt's eyes are closed and Steinie is turned in the opposite direction, somehow they are able to sense that I'm awake and join me in bed. They squawk and stomp across me with impunity. They know the routine. Mom wakes up. Mom retires to the bathroom for a few moments. Mom goes to the kitchen to make coffee. KITTIES GET TREATS!!! And lest I should forget this most important part of the morning routine, they apparently feel they must constantly remind me with meows and ankle rubbing. Even though their nearly constant presence near my feet actually impedes the process of coffee making, which shall always come before the dispensing of treats. Don't tell them that the treats are actually a crunchy tartar removing device and serves a distinct purpose toward their feline oral health. They just like it because it smells fishy and makes a marvelous crunchy noise when they chomp on it. Then they ignore me for a while, except to inquire about when they might possibly get fed and why their favorite human, the fifteen year old who is a champion late sleeper, might be showing his face to give them attention. I have every intention of not leaving this house until I have to return to the lab on Wednesday morning. Until then I shall revel in the the spirit of the holiday. For me that means cooking, baking, eating and sleeping. And religiously wearing pajamas for as much of that time as possible.

No comments: