Saturday, December 1, 2007

Let it Snow


It snowed overnight. Two or three inches worth out there. Enough to warrant shoveling but not so much that it's painful. I realize that I would find it very difficult to live somewhere where it doesn't snow. Despite the inconvenience I love winter. There's something about the cycle of seasons that feels complete and right, but maybe that's because I grew up on the plains. The summers are scorching and winter is harsh but it makes me feel alive to experience such extremes. This weekend's activities shall include baking cranberry lemon bread, digging out the Christmas cd's that set the mood for holiday decorating, and now that the snow is letting up, shoveling. The enormous pine tree in my backyard looks so beautiful with a dusting of white. Edgar, my anatomically correct gargoyle who sits under that tree, looks mildly annoyed about the whole business. Somehow I managed to forget to do the fall routine of putting away summery stuff out in the yard. The umbrella on the deck table looks a little out of place, as does the hammock that can't collect a remarkable amount of snow due to its stringy surface. The fifteen yo wants chocolate cake for breakfast. I don't know why it makes me feel better to say no to that request. Is it really much different to say yes to cherry pop-tarts? Probably not. And now that I have a digital camera, maybe I can take a cool snow picture and post it with today's writing. Now, if someone could explain to me why Newton wants desperately to get into my closet. I hope the reason isn't a mouse.

No comments: