Monday, November 19, 2007

Feasting, Etc.

There is nothing like the recent turn of the weather toward chilly that makes me want to cook up a storm. In the summer it's just too hot to cook, much less eat. I like to grill in the summer, and not just for the distinctive savoriness brought out in whatever is being grilled. Grilling keeps the heat out of the house as well as eliminating pesky pot washing after dinner. This time of year I become nearly as domestic as Martha Stewart. Though I do believe I am less anal and certainly funnier than Ms. Stewart. And I am capable of producing remarkable meals on a considerably tinier budget. Not to mention without the support of hundreds of assistants. I do love to bake pies. All kinds of pies. I have never met a pie I did not like. I have thought before if I win the lottery or for some other reason no longer find it necessary to work for a living that I would bake pies. Bake them and give them away. Randomly show up on doorsteps and hand the inhabitants of the house a freshly baked pie. Just for fun. Be the crazy pie lady. Bake pies and write novels. If I don't come into that large amount of money, I'll save it for something to do when I retire. And although I'm not cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year I will still bake pies. Pumpkin for my elder son and pecan for the younger one. They will be attending turkey day festivities with their father and his side of the family. Freeing me to have a much needed lazy day at home. I plan to wear my pajamas until well past noon, consume chocolate, pie, and perhaps some wine, watch a movie or two, and construct a shopping list while perusing the ten pound Argus Leader that will arrive early Thursday morning. Anna and I plan to brave the Sioux Falls shopping venues Black Friday afternoon for holiday bargains. Personally, I'm more excited about where we might be eating lunch than the shopping!

No comments: