Saturday, October 27, 2007

Full Moon, Saturday Night

In actuality, the full moon was sometime last night, not tonight. I just wanted to use that title. As I was typing it, it occurred to me that Full Moon, Saturday Night was the title of an ER episode from over ten years ago. Just checked. And before I go on, I must say that the internet is a wonderful, fact-filled, quite amazing thing. The episode aired on Thursday, March 30, 1995. It was the twentieth show in ER's first season. I'm trying to remember what was going on in my life at that time, other than watching ER regularly. My sons would have been six and two years of age. The elder in first grade and the younger a toddler who was minded by his mother during the day. I was still sleeping in a waterbed that just a few years later would turn out to be the culprit in my increasing back pain. I sleep in a regular bed now, have since 2002, and my back is very happy with the queen size, pillowtop Spring Air that I snuggle into every night. I find it odd that although more than twelve years have passed since I viewed that episode of ER, I remember so very clearly part of the opening segment of the program. A very large man, who was strapped to a gurney and appeared to be unconscious, suddenly let out a roar and stood up with the gurney still strapped to his back, and began shuffling toward a window. He and the gurney crashed through the window and glass went flying everywhere. I don't recall precisely what happened next but it seems to me that the staff in the er that night didn't get particularly ruffled over the incident. They sighed, maybe did an eyeroll toward heaven, and chalked it all up to the full moon as they went about dealing with their furniture-rearranging patient. Memory is a very odd thing. Like when you wake up from an oh, so vivid dream when the alarm goes off. And for the rest of the day you can't quite shake off the memory of it. I almost always dream, and usually can remember the dreams in detail. But most of the time the memory of the dreams fades as I go through the day and other more immediate experiences fill up my brain. Just the other night I had a dream that still is taking up daylight space in my head. It was a doozy involving a very, very cute young man that I barely know and a grape Tootsie Pop. And without being too graphic, all I will say is that it was sexual in nature although we never touched, and the lollipop did something very interesting and magical when I unwrapped and licked it. Must have been the full moon.

No comments: