Sunday, October 21, 2007

Flash Drive Morality

I'm so proud of myself. Ooops. That's one of the seven deadlies. Oh, well, I guess when I get to the Inferno I'll have to tote around a stone slab on my back to induce some feelings of humility. But I am proud of myself! I just successfully navigated the New Egg website, which was easy, and that surprised me because New Egg is pretty much geek heaven. Anything and everything electronic is available there. Build your own customized computer from scratch. Which my older son has done. Which amazes me. I'm proud of him, too. And since I'm going to refuse to go to confession or otherwise make some other attempt to absolve myself of this deadly sin, I guess I'll be seeing all my best friends in Hell. Wait a minute, I'm not Catholic. Do the repercussions of committing any of the Seven Deadly Sins apply only to Catholics? Not ascribing to the concept of either eternal reward or eternal punishment based on my conduct here on this plane in this life, threatening me with such isn't much of a motivator for me personally. I just do my best on any given day to do what is right, kind, less harmful and good simply because that's how I ought to behave. Being human, I fail at times. And then I do my best to apologize, right the wrong, change my ways. Anyway. What I'm so very proud of myself for is that in a few days I will be the proud owner of a pink 2G flash drive! Then, once I figure out how to use this bit of technological hardware, I will be able to cart around all sorts of useful information. My poetry archive. Music I love. The novel I'm working on. Photos of my cats and sons. Video. All in a cute little pink case. I shall never be a true geek, but I will proudly have a flash drive hanging from a clip on my purse. And if I end up in the deep, nasty recesses of Dante's Inferno for that privilege, I'll not only be surprised, but I hope I get to take the flash drive with me. I'll make sure the first thing I download to it is air conditioning plans and schematics. That and maybe zymurgy instructions.

No comments: