Monday, August 27, 2007

Precipitative Consequences and Lunacy

It's been raining. Which brought the lawn back to life. So this morning I mowed the lawn for the first time in nearly two months. It was overdue but manageable. Rain also makes the weeds grow! But it also softens the ground making weeding possible, not merely easier. I pulled a ton of weeds from my moon garden and it is nice and tidy once more. One can now appreciate the white blossoms of the petunias, alyssum, and chrysanthemum. Ready for tonight's full moon and complete eclipse. For those of you who are unaware of what a moon garden is, it is simply a flower patch planted with only white-blossoming flowers. On a full moon night, and the nights of the week surrounding a full moon, I can look out my bedroom window and see a sea of white flowers floating in the glowing near-darkness. It is absolutely lovely to the eye as well as to the nose. A mass planting of petunias and alyssum in bloom leaves a heady perfume on the breeze. I will be awake in the wee hours of Tuesday to observe as much of the eclipse as possible. Although I know a lunar eclipse is created by the Earth's shadow across the moon when when we pass between la Luna and the sun, that fact alone really doesn't cross my mind while I'm under the night sky taking in the celestial show. Such a sight must speak to my inner cavewoman, the event is a spiritual experience for me that doesn't ask for an explanation. I am humbled by the endless sky and in awe of the universe just as our ancestral humans must have been.

No comments: