Sunday, August 12, 2007

Beautiful Sunday

I am inside on a lovely Sunday afternoon because I have to finish this damn painting job! The sun is shining, there is a light breeze and the temperature is in the mid-seventies. My brain is sort of in the mid-seventies as well. I saw a program on public tv Friday night featuring the two former lead guys in the seventies band from Canada, the Guess Who. They both went on to have successful careers after the break-up of the Guess Who, Burton Cummings as a solo artist and Randy Bachman as half of Bachman Turner Overdrive. They are performing under the name Bachman/Cummings Songbook. The name change has to do with copyright ownership details, apparently when lawyers get involved, who owns the song determines who can actually perform the song without legal retaliation. If they call themselves something different, they can perform all of the songs that were produced (by them, mind you) under different entities and get by with it. I truly enjoyed the show, it was great fun to hear all of those songs from the early seventies. When I was in high school, I owned American Woman on vinyl. I was intrigued by the fact that the founding members of the band hailed from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, which was just a couple of hours north on I29 from where I was living. So, it's gorgeous outside and I'm determined to finish painting because I'm tired, tired, tired of the mess and want to be done with it. I just pulled up the old carpeting that had been on the basement steps for about fifteen years. It was a nasty job and I'm glad I'm done with that phase! I have three blisters, I should have worn gloves, and a sore spot on my right foot from a stray staple sticking up from one of the steps, I should have worn shoes. Momentarily I'm going to have a little snack and get on with the painting now that the last of the prep work is complete. I'm really going to deserve at least one Leinie's Honey Weiss when I'm through, possibly two. And if this lovely weather holds, I just may have to enjoy my beer out in the hammock.

No comments: