Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mom's Day

I have just returned from a very enjoyable dinner with my younger son. We were celebrating a belated Mother's Day since I abandoned my children over this last weekend when the holiday actually took place. And yet they still gave me a very lovely and funny card. And they signed it from the cats as well. At least I think the boys signed it for them. As near as I have been able to observe Newton and Einstein have not developed opposable thumbs which would enable them to grip a writing instrument. And I'm pretty certain they haven't a clue as to how to spell their names. At least not in English. They may very well be able to spell their names in cat. Einstein has developed a fondness for unrolling the toilet paper in my bathroom. He seems to take delight in batting at the wall-mounted dispenser until the paper is in a heap on the floor. A heap with suspicious cat-claw-sized holes in it. He doesn't do anything else with the toilet paper, like trail it throughout the house or shred it to, well, shreds, he seems content to unroll it and leave it. Newton's new thing is to tip over the wastebasket next to the phone stand in the kitchen. He doesn't strew the contents all over, he just tips it over. These could be expressions of a similar sort of cat madness which may be familial in nature. A primordial feline urge to rearrange their environment to suit their needs. Maybe it's just a paper fetish. Which leaves me wondering if there is a deeper meaning to the fact that I mailed a little note to the CPPR yesterday and neglected to add the now requisite extra two cent stamp. Which means he received it with postage due. I think I just forgot that postage for a first class letter went up this week. It does seem more than a little insensitive to expect him to pay two cents for the privilege of reading my words to him. But I think it's worth at least that much. There is an opportunity here for a clever bit of wordplay involving opinions expressed and getting your two cents in quite literally but I don't have the energy to go there. If you have the energy, be my guest and take a stab at it. What I have the energy for is reading the paper and dozing off in a sitting position. Perhaps in the company of a toilet paper obsessed cat.

No comments: