Sunday, April 1, 2007

Greetings From West Coast SD

There I am. Over there. To the right. Yes, this is what a peri-menopausal goddess looks like. And like I told you a week ago, I'm not all that photogenic. This picture, nonetheless, does look like me and conveys a certain attitude that I like. There will be others now that Colleen has overcome the technical problem of Mac versus Windows and I look forward to seeing them and posting them here. I am posting today from my room at the lovely Rapid City Days Inn via the magic of an ethernet wireless connection. Anna and I are spending a long weekend here for some long awaited R & R. Aside from the weather being cold and crappy we have managed to have a pleasant time away from home. We have experienced some most excellent live music at Dublin Square where Abby SomeOne has played the last two nights. Thanks to Shawn, Gary, Randy, and Dennis who played their asses off for an energized Friday night crowd and a somewhat indifferent Saturday night audience. I also got to visit with various other friends of ASO and I finally met The General! She does exist! I had been referring to Gary's better half as the "alleged Janice" because she was never around when I was. I really like her and not because she happens to be one of the few adults who I am taller than. I got to spend some time with Shawn's mom, Mary, who is beautiful, warm and wonderful and absolutely cool. We have also had some tasty food, some relaxing time in the hot tub, and got our shopping habit somewhat satisfied. I took a lovely hour-long walk on the bike trail this morning through Memorial Park and beyond. It was a little windy but warmer and the sun was shining! Anna should be showing up any time now and I have no idea what the rest of the afternoon has in store for us. I am merely happy to be here and look forward to the open mic at Cheers tonight where Shawn and Gary will be hosting. You never know who will show up and play and I must say that over time I have heard some astonishingly great music from mostly amateur musicians there. Now if I could just decide what shoes to wear, it's not quite barefoot weather yet. I came prepared, though, my toenails are painted a festive Revlon color #470, Amber Afire. And now, I must go play, I am on vacation.

2 comments:

Blind Orange Julius said...

West Coast SD? Funny, I always referred to Yankton and Vermillion as the South Dakota Riviera. Since I attended the U, I won't mention how I usually refer to Brookings.

Making me jealous talking about the Cheers Open Mic. For a while it may have been the coolest thing to do in the RC, regardless of the night. Last time I was there it was merely the coolest thing to do in the RC on a Sunday. Not bad. I think I'll wear one of the numerous hats or t-shirts I won there today.

Bellona of Avalon said...

Cheers open mic was fun. The usual characters showed up. A few drunks. Some surprising talent. A taste comparison of home-made vs Perkins chocolate chip cookies. The ASO guys plus a guy playing a Celtic drum put on goofy hats for a while. Two thirds of Common Law Love were there, the lovely Jennifer and a cute guy named John. It was cool. We went downtown to Paddy's to finish up the evening.