Sunday, March 25, 2007

Not Photogenic

My friend Colleen is a national award winning graphic designer. She is also a great photographer and a bit of a perfectionist. Okay, seeking perfection is an all or nothing proposition, it's not something that can be done by degree. Colleen is a perfectionist! But in a way that I understand and fully support. We finally got our exhausting personal schedules to line up yesterday and she came over armed with fresh-baked bread, salmon spread, grapes and cheese. And her camera. And we attempted for hours to get some acceptable pics of yours truly to post here. We had hoped to go outside and take advantage of the gray, diffuse lighting but the gray, diffuse light turned into a downpour of rain. So we experimented indoors with lighting, props and costumes and did our best to come up with a decent picture of me. But I neglected to tell her one thing. I'M NOT PHOTOGENIC!!!! Colleen is kind and says I'm a difficult subject to capture but I know the truth. The lens does not love me. When captured on film or digitally I can almost gurantee the result will be from my bad side, and i seem to have a limitless supply of them. And this isn't a confidence issue, I also am aware that I am a very attractive woman who cleans up nicely. I am simply much better live than Kodak. On the plus side we did spend several enjoyable hours together and consumed the contents of nearly two bottles of wine along with the lovely treats she came bearing. And she got re-acquainted with Newton and Einstein. Last summer when I adopted them from Colleen's little farm north of town she was sad to part with them. Don't cry for her, however, she still has 27 cats, three llamas, a dog, and several of the most personable chickens I have ever encountered to keep her company. Einstein was skittish at first but was soon cuddling right up to her. Newton, who was the most outgoing of that crop of kittens, just would not warm up to her at all, maybe he has some lingering issues from kittenhood with his first adoptive mother. I have had a chat with him this morning and he is aware that I expect much better behavior from him today when she returns to attempt once more to capture me in a flattering light. The rain has stopped and the sun is out so maybe we'll get those outdoor shots this afternoon. Between now and then I have coffee to drink, a Sunday paper to peruse and piles of laundry to tackle. With a little luck, the right light, and Colleen's expert eye I should have a photo or two to post here tonight.

No comments: