Saturday, February 24, 2007

Saturday pm

It's Saturday afternoon and I'm still in my fleecy winter jammies. I've been up for hours but I don't have to be anywhere today by any certain time so I'm indulging in one of my favorite pastimes. Being a slob. I brewed some excellent Colombian Supremo earlier and it was lovely. I pulled a Panera cinnamon crunch bagel out of the freezer and had that for breakfast. I've been wandering about the house contemplating the rearranging of furniture and pictures after I have painted. The paint is purchased and the swatches are tucked behind light switch covers for comparison to the current color. I don't get to paint until I have accomplished a couple more cleaning projects and that won't happen for a few weeks. And I like to have the windows open when I paint which is not practical in South Dakota in February. Outside my window today is a drab gray sky with gusts of wind and intermittant snow. Overnight there was a genuine thunderstorm! Thunder and lightening and driving rain which eventually turned to snow leaving a slippery mess on the pavement. A good day to stay inside and appreciate central heating. Last night I did venture out into the darkness and cold which were accompanied by a howling easterly wind. Anna and I were hungry for steak so we visited The Knotty Pine Supper Club which is out in the middle of nowhere near Elkton, SD, just across the border into Minnesota. It's an odd place to find a restaurant. If you happened to be on a first date with a guy you didn't know very well you would swear he was taking you on a pointless drive out in the country with intentions of running out of gas. If you know what I mean. They were having a Hawaiian themed weekend so the staff was dressed in festive print shirts, sandals and enormous straw hats. Colorful paper fishies dangled from the ceiling. And a sparkly metallic palm tree filled a corner. A welcoming little tropical haven in the middle of the wintry prairie. The coolest thing about the Knotty Pine is the vintage jukebox just to the rear of the dancefloor. I believe it contains actual 45rpm records and the songs are all oldies from every genre. Rock & Roll and country and novelty. One-hit wonders and standards. You never know what you'll hear and often a song will inspire a couple to get up and dance. Our steaks were wonderful, the atmosphere was rustic and pleasant, and the Snickers pie was decadent. Einstein is at my feet engaged in a little contortionist self-grooming. I made a hair appointment. I e-filed my income tax last week. I have earned my day of slobbery and intend to enjoy it. And while I despise pretty much everything Hugh Hefner stands for, he is definitely onto something with the wearing of pajamas all day long. This earth might just be a more languid, less anxious, all around better place to be if everyone would only hang around in their jammies for a day.

No comments: