Monday, February 5, 2007

Newt-ering and Einstein

A couple of months ago I deeply offended a co-worker without even trying. He was of the opinion that I am an emasculating, man-hating bitch and was finding it impossible to work with me. He subsequently quit. I was impressed that I had made such an impression on him! I did my best to avoid him whenever possible because it was pretty clear he wasn't fond of me and only spoke to him out of necessity. I was curious as to why he had such hostile feelings toward me. Most people just think I'm weird, but in a good way. I'm something of an aquired taste, some people take to me right away, but they're usually a little left-of-center, other people eventually come around because I'm irreverent, funny and say what others would like to say. Yes, I'm opinionated. Yes, I'm confident. But I have respect for others and I rarely deliberately cross a line with anyone. So the guy quit. Because I'm an emasculating, man-hating bitch. He's entitled to his opinion. An opinion which I believe reveals more about him than me. Which brings me to tomorrow. Early tomorrow morning I'm taking my adorable 8-month-old male cats, Newton and Einstein, into the vet for their shots and to get neutered. I tell myself that they will be fine. That removing their little gonads is the responsible thing for a pet owner to do. A friend has assured me that they will not hate me, especially if I continue to feed them and scoop their poop. They will most assuredly blame the good doctor for their loss and will soon forget the stressful day altogether. I'm not so sure. I just don't want them to think I'm an emasculating, man-hating bitch. Because they'll have a valid reason.

2 comments:

Blind Orange Julius said...

The finest movie with castration as a plot device? Hard Candy, of course.

Good movie, kind of hard for a guy to watch....

Anonymous said...

Hey, being the proud owner of 3 neutered cats, rest assured the only thing that's likely to happen to them over time is a little extra weight and no desire to mate. I know this is a way-old post you wrote, but I'm just reading it now for the first time.

Quinn