Wednesday, February 21, 2007

My New Car

I don't have it quite yet. But the concept is under consideration. I've done the research, I think I know what I want but I have yet to do the test drive. Why, you might ask. Because I hate car shopping! I hate doing the deal! Car dealerships are the domain of men in plaid sport coats with bad hair pieces. Not that a sport coat would ever actually wear a hair piece, bad or otherwise, but I digress. My current vehicle is quite serviceable and will pass to my college-age son. And I wish to buy the very first BRAND NEW car of my entire life. Several people, most of them men, have expressed to me that I should not purchase a BRAND NEW car. For a number of very logical, practical reasons. But to them I have said...DON'T YOU BE LOGICAL WITH ME, MISTER!!! Wanting a BRAND NEW car isn't the least bit logical! It's for purely emotional and esoteric and enigmatic reasons that I want a BRAND NEW car! I want it to have that new car smell and that new car feel and that new car sense of adventure. I want it to be mine and all mine and never anybody else's. And it should be red. Because I have only owned automobiles in drab colors. Gray. Silver. Brown. And I want a stick shift, not an automatic. Which other people, male and female alike, have tried to talk me out of. And there is only one reason for choosing this particular option. Because shifting is fun! So there. I want a pretty red brand new car with a manual transmission! And that's all I have to say about that. For now.

1 comment:

Blind Orange Julius said...

Geez, do the seats need lace on them too?

I bought a brand new car in 1996. My family tried to talk me out of it, nobody in my family had purchased a new car since my parents bought a 1970 Ford Station Wagon when we came back from Guam (you don't bring cars back from Guam).

My parents thought I was dumb, spending so much on a car. I paid the car off in 2000 (a year ahead of schedule) and have been without a car payment since.

Them? I'm not exactly sure, but but they have had at least four and possibly five used cars during that period of time. They've been making car payments that entire time.

I've had very little trouble with my 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback. None, really, except for having to replace the entire engine last spring. And that wasn't something going bad so much as it was something that was probably wrong with the car from day one. Something that took 9 years to be an issue.

I hated car shopping too. That's why I decided to buy a new car, hoping that I wouldn't have to do it again for a long time. With a new engine in that car, maybe I won't have to for another 10 years.